Manager of Landfill Operations
We are looking for our next great Manager of Landfill Operations! This is a full-time permanent position located at the Drumheller & District Regional Landfill (2500 Highway 10 East Drumheller, AB). We have a committed, knowledgeable, customer service and safety focused team looking for a leader who will help continue and build excellence in financial performance, environmental and regulatory compliance. We are hoping to find a candidate who will match our enthusiasm and desire for a collaborative and effective work environment.
The Drumheller & District Solid Waste Management Association (DDSWMA) is a regional landfill and recycling facility located in Drumheller Alberta and operates as its own entity with 12 municipal partners. Each Member County, Municipality, and Town has a representative on the DDSWMA board of directors. The landfill is approved by Alberta Environment and Parks to operate a Class II Municipal Sanitary Landfill, which currently serves a population of approximately 30,000 and receives 20,000-25,000 metric tonnes of Municipal, Industrial & Commercial/Institutional waste per year.
The Manager of Landfill Operations reports to the Association and is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the landfill and recycling facilities; supervising the site operating personnel and contractors employed by the Association. They are responsible for all health and safety standards, financial performance, and environmental and regulatory compliance with focus on developing operational excellence, providing exceptional customer service, and providing leadership to the waste services team.
The key responsibilities are:
Planning and Development of the Landfill, Recycling Facilities /Programs and Transfer Stations
o Ensure smooth operation of the Landfill; ongoing construction; permitting; leachate management, daily cover requirements, and special waste management
o Responsible for creating and updating waste management policies and procedures as directed by the Association.
o Create and maintain reporting systems for ongoing operational issues including trends, solutions, incident/accidents, and variances from the budget and or business plan.
o Ensure cleanliness and maintenance of the Associations’ physical assets at the Landfill, Recycling Facilities and Transfer stations through inspections and preventative maintenance programs with supervisors, Association employees and participating member municipality employees.
o Maintain landfill operations within regulatory requirements
o Ensure that Transfer Station operations conducted by the individual member municipalities are maintained within regulatory requirements
o Coordinate the overall Landfill operations to ensure development and operations are in accordance with the Landfill Operations Plan and the Design & Development Plan as authorized by Alberta Environment & Parks
o Mentor staff in the interpretation and intention of the Approval to Operate
o Oversee personnel needs, including selecting, coaching, training, and evaluating employee performance as well as termination
o Supervise provide technical and operational support to all personnel
o Responsible for employee promotional and compensation recommendations to the Association.
o Procure the necessary supplies and small equipment purchases
o Liaison with Community organizations and groups, as required, for enhancement of community relations
o Provide public education programs
o Respond to public inquiries
Areas that can add to our team:
• Ability to work collaboratively with all areas of the operation
• Leadership and growth within our teams and oneself
• Strategic, long-term thinker
• Organized in thought and process
• Ability to have fun and get serious work done
• Proven consistency and strong team support
Skills and Qualifications needed for the position
• Certified Landfill Operator with an Alberta Environment Landfill Operator Certificate
• SWANA Manager of Landfill Operations Certification preferred
• 3-5 years of related experience
• Budgeting experience and financial reporting required
• Understanding of the required regulatory requirements through Alberta Environment
• Familiarity with Environment regulations and Lease Agreements
• Knowledge and experience in Federal, Provincial, and corporate funding opportunities
• Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
• Strong commitment to public and community service
• Strong verbal and written communication
• Computer Knowledge (Microsoft Office Suite)
• Mentoring, teamwork and participation in events, training, meetings etc.
• Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement
• All aspects of Health and Safety for personnel, visitors, and contractors
What do we offer?
• Competitive pay
• Group Health Benefits
• Engaging and empowering work environment
• Strong policies and supportive atmosphere
• Fun and friendly co-workers
• Development opportunities
We offer a competitive salary along with an 80% employer paid benefits program. Visit our website for further details: https://drumhellerlandfill.com/ If this opportunity is of interest to you and you feel that you match our skills and qualifications, respond by January 7, 2022, with your resume and a cover letter providing details as how to you match our criteria.
All applicants will receive an information package including remuneration details upon receipt of your resume and cover letter. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted, we appreciate your interest.
C/O Kneehill County
Three Hills, AB T0M 2A0
Attention: Jessie Kasha
Human Resources Coordinator
Manager of Landfill Operations